Friday 10 April 2009

Decisions and Decorating

It's Easter weekend, which means 4 days off work, yippee!!

So, this weekend, after about a year of talking about it, we are finally decorating the living room. For the last 6 weeks, or possibly more, we have had rectangles of painted paper in various shades of brown and white, stuck all over our walls. We eventually decided on 'Timeless' for the main walls of the living room, and 'muddy puddle' to go up the stairs that are open to the living room.

For the last few days we have been filling holes and sanding bumps, washing the walls and hoovering up cobwebs. It has to be the worst part of decorating, all that hard work to prepare everything before you can even get the paint out.

So, this morning I was up bright and early covering all the furniture with old sheets and throws, and sent Mr P off to Homebase to buy some new curtain poles. See, the problem with re-decorating is that it doesn't just stop with the paint. Mr P bought this house 4 yrs ago and has not touched the living room at all. I moved in 18 months ago with my cheap 'make do' furniture and since then we have lived together, spending every evening in a room with yellow walls, brown carpet, mustard colour curtains and a mixture of non-matching furniture.

The problem with me is that I cannot wait for anything. When I want something, I want it now! So as you can imagine, 18 months of waiting makes me want to go out and buy all the new things now. There is just one thing getting in the way, and that is the fact that we are saving for the wedding. So the choice is that we either wait for these things, live with the things we don't like, and run the risk of waiting another 18 months to have it all. Or we dip into the savings, buy it, and run the risk of not having enough money for the wedding. Then there is the temptation to pull out my shiny new pink Virgin card, except that's not what it's for!

I think I have won the battle for new curtains, and hopefully we will be spending some of Monday shopping for them, but this is where the decisions come in. What colour do we get?

OK, so the walls are sort of white, with one being a light brown. The sofa, which is probably the only piece of furniture we are keeping, is dark brown. I kind of like the light and airy look, and actually fancy a colour rather than just brown/beige/cream. The choices are duck egg blue or light green, both look great with chocolate and beige colours, but which one? I have looked at so many curtains online tonight, that I am more confused than ever!

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

In the meantime, it's more decorating for us. So far, the ceiling and coving is done, and the white walls have had their first coat. Tomorrow, it will be 2 more coats before starting on the stairs.

So it's off to bed for me, ready for another bright and early start, and it's wake up time for you, as if you thought some of my other posts were boring, then this one's even worse!!

Goodnight x

No comments:

Post a Comment