Monday 6 April 2009

Long weekend in Cornwall

Saturday

This may be quite a long post as I have yesterday to report on too. I made the mistake of skipping the blog writing last night and spent ages trying to get to sleep. I should have got up and got the laptop as I wrote a whole post in my head! Of course the troubled sleeping could also be due to sleeping in a strange place.

We arrived in Cornwall around half past three, and considering we didn’t leave until about ten, we didn’t do too badly. We went first to Lostwithiel to pick up the key for the bungalow and to get directions. We then went to pick up our weekend guest who was very excited to see us. After picking up a bit of shopping we headed off to our accommodation.

We arrived in Mevagissey at about six, and as we turned the corner into our street we were met with the lovely view of the sea and the bay. This is also the view we got this morning when we opened the curtains, I can honestly say it’s a view I would love to wake up with every morning.

We went for a short walk to take a look at the nearest beach, which was down about 200 steps! Getting down was fine, although I did have a few issues with the height we were at and the fact that the steps were metal and straight so the height was made even clearer! Getting back up on the other hand was hard work! All those trips to the gym didn’t make it much easier, and I honestly thought I was going to collapse at the top!

Today we got up and relaxed for a bit while having coffee and breakfast, and then we took a leisurely walk into the town. The only thing about Cornwall is all the towns are on hills, some of them very steep. Once at the bottom, we took a walk around the harbour, stopping to look at the Mevagissey museum, before heading for a wander around the shops. Although a nightmare to drive down, I love all the tiny little roads which run through these little fishing towns. I love the little shops too, quaint little gift shops full of pretty things, things I am not allowed to buy! I did make a couple of purchases, a campervan tea towel, ready to go in Bella the campervan when she has been restored, and I also bought a bookmark, and some rock for my nephews. You can’t have a holiday and not spend anything. On the way back we got an ice cream, the first of this year, before heading back up the steep hills, which took a lot longer than coming down!

This afternoon we have been watching the Grand National, and the shock of a horse which had odds of 100-1, coming first. I had bets on the horses that placed 2nd, 3rd and 4th, so that was quite exciting, and won £18.38!

This evening we went out in search for tea, and found a pub in St Austell called The Rashleigh Arms. The food was absolutely fantastic.

So now here I am in bed, still stuffed from tea, writing a post that is more like a diary entry and is probably the most boring one I have written so far!

1 comment:

  1. i love this, Can you please pack me in your suitcase next time?

    ReplyDelete