Wednesday 1 April 2009

One man's junk is another man's treasure

This saying has been proved so true tonight for me.

How many times have we cleared out our wardrobes, filled up a bin bag and taken it down the charity shop, or worse, put it out for the bin men. For me the answer would be loads, with the charity winning every time. Well last weekend I decided that with saving for a wedding, and trying to make every penny count, I would have a go at selling my unwanted garments. It's not that I don't want to help these charities out, it's just I fancied making a cit of money for myself. Ok, maybe that sounds a little selfish, but I have taken a dislike to charity shops over the last few years. They vastly overprice people's kind donations, and I often wonder if the workers get first pick over what goes in to the shop. Also the last time I donated, I was moaned at because they had wanted to close early and there I was knocking on the door at 5.15 on a Saturday afternoon surrounded by bin bags, after a ruthless clearout. To top it off, I never even got thanked for my donation!

So last weekend I emptied my wardrobe and made a pile of the unwanted, the too small, the impulse buys, the once worns, and got Mr Perfect to take some photos. I then spent the evening listing them on ebay. Now I didn't hold out too much hope of selling anything. After all, I don't earn a lot of money and therefore can never afford to shop in the more expensive and better quality places. I would have to admit that the majority of my clothes are purchased in Tesco, Primark and New Look, with the odd Dorothy Perkins and Republic item thrown in. Occasionly I stretch to Next and Debenhams but mainly at sale times. Saying that I have had some lovely clothes from these so called 'Throw away fashion' outlets, some which have lasted well.

Maybe one day I might win the lottery or something, and be able to go out and buy expensive clothes. The question is, would I do what I always do when I have money to spend and find nothing I like? Or would I turn the labels over, see the price and put it back, even though the money was there to be spent? All I know is that I have never been one for following fashion, if I like it and it's the right price, then I buy it. I have never understood why a lot of girls buy something because a magazine promotes it as 'in'. Surely these girls have their own style and taste? Maybe I have none?

Anyway, getting back to the point, I listed a load of clothes on ebay, many were Primark or Tesco, with a few Next thrown in, and I sold all but 3 items! Ok, some of them only reached 99p or a little less, but the point was that I raised more than if I had thrown them out. The problem now is that I got such a buzz from watching them sell, that I want to sell more!

No comments:

Post a Comment